Monday, July 20, 2009

Curse of Dark Hollow

For some reason, I always feel like I have an obligation to do well in any Michaux race. I don't know what it is, but I feel like I have something to defend, even though I don't. It's not like a kind of pressure that I get nervous about or anything too competitive, but it makes me ride faster and have more fun doing it. Sunday was the Curse, which turned out being a great race. While we were driving around to find a parking spot, we found Jay, Cameron, and the guys from Guy's racing...they saved us a spot next to their van. Thanks. That was good because we were able to get into the good parking lot and were close to everything. Got a short warm up in and rode off the the pre-race meeting. As with every Michaux race, you ride down a dirt road to where they tell you to stop, then turn around and ride back up to the trails. There was a bit of confusion as to where the juniors were going to stage, but we got it sorted out and I was luckily able to go with the Vets. I was really happy because that ment a lot less people to pass (usually we go close to last with the Masters). The start was really good. I was 3rd place, behind 2nd's wheel going up the road, but I jumped ahead to 2nd when the guy I was following backed off. Last time I did this race, I turned into the parking lot and slid out in all the loose gravel, getting passed by so many people. This year I didn't fall even though I felt it sliding out on me. Shifted into the big ring and followed a local from the Gettysburg Bike Shop team down the first downhill. That was good until he got out of my sight on a really short climb, but I caught back up on one of my favorite downhills in Michaux. After that, there is a really steep climb that switchbacks back up to the top of the mountain. He was out of my sight again, but I still pushed hard because I knew that I might be able to cath him on another downhill. Across a rocky ridge, and I was reminded of why I started racing. I started racing in Michaux, and ever since, I haven't been to any better races. After the ridge is another technical downhill, and I took some fun alternate lines for the fun of it. Eventually I passed the rider ahead of me, and really worked hard to get as far away from him as possible. Cleaned all the short technical climbs on that section, then dropped down to a lake. This is the same lake that is at Long Pine, and the course rides a fisherman's trail on the side of the lake, then takes a road around till it reaches the last short climb of the Long Pine course. Later was a steep climb full of loose rocks. It was faster to run most of it, but the Gettysburg rider was right on my wheel again. So I hopped on my bike as soon as possible and bombed another downhill. I was so scared because he was on my wheel, that I rode the downhill like the finish line was right at the bottom, and I was racing something much more important than a race in Michaux. At the long rode climb, he was out of my sight, so it looked like the downhill worked. But about 2 miles up the climb and on a gravel road, he was right there. He passed me with about 2 miles to go, and I was able to hold his wheel for a little bit, but he was a local and new the trail. It was a really soft and twisty trail, so it would be good to know it...anyway I ended up finishing a minute back, but still 2nd overall. It was a really good race and I'm happy I did so well because it is my last 25miler in Michaux...I'm racing the 40's (or if they ever go back to 50's) starting at Teaberry and going until I can't ride the distance anymore. Everyone had a good day - my dad and I got firsts, Bill Gardner got 2nd in the master class, and my mom got 3rd woman in the 10 mile race. Coming up is a bit of a break from racing, since I'm now going to the MASS race this weekend, and next is the Wilderness 101. I'll be there on the course. Next race is Neshaminy.

No comments: